Environmental Modelling and Impact Assessment
Staff from Aurora have carried out numerous environmental and radiological impact assessments to determine the radiation dose and risk to members of the public arising from residual radioactivity, from both routine (permitted) and accidental discharges. We have carried these assessments out on remediated facilities, land where a change of use was planned, and for planned disposals of radioactive material via environmental pathways (land, sewage, river and airborne).
We use a combination of methodologies for the impact assessments, utilising regulatory documents, industry standard guidance documents and both commercial and bespoke software tools, for the most efficient assessment and modelling services.
In May 2011 we successfully passed an Environment Agency inspection with no non-compliances identified. This excellent outcome was due in large part to the sound advice and robust management systems that Aurora helped put in place.
Aurora is a thoroughly professional company, staffed by highly competent and reliable individuals who provide first rate service to their clients. We greatly value their input to Enviras and we have had no hesitation in recommending Aurora to other organisations in our sector.
Director • Enviras
Examples of regulatory and guidance documents and tools pertinent to Environmental Modelling and Impact Assessment:
- The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (as amended 2018) (EPR16).
- Part 2A of The Environmental Protection Act 1990
- The Radioactive Contaminated Land (Enabling Powers)(England) Regulations 2005
- Guidance on the Characterisation and Remediation of Radioactively Contaminated Land, Environment Agency
- Environmental Authorisation (Scotland) Regulations 2018
- The Radioactive Substances Act 1993 plus Amendments
- Methodology for Estimating the Doses to Members of the Public from Future use of Land Previously Contaminated with Radioactivity, NRPB-W36
- HSE Criterion for Delicensing Nuclear Sites
- HSE Nuclear Safety Directorate Guidance for Inspectors on Decommissioning of Nuclear Licensed Sites
- Spreadsheet tools supplied by, and used by, the Regulators
- In-house developed spreadsheets and software tools, including expertise in ERICA (radiological risk) and PC-Cream (impact assessment) software
Under EPR16, Aurora staff have also undertaken several radiological impact assessments for clients discharging radioactive waste to the environment in airborne, solid, and liquid waste streams. Whether you are reviewing residual radioactivity or require an assessment on land intended for different use, Aurora guarantees you industry-leading quality and service.