COVID-19 Regulatory Position Statements
These Regulatory Position Statements (RPSs) have been published by the Environment Agency (EA), Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) and Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) in response to holders of environmental permits, or operators of facilities (nuclear) having their usual radioactive substance management protocols being disrupted by the coronavirus outbreak.
Do the Regulatory Position Statements affect you?
Holders of an environmental permit, or operators of facilities (nuclear) must operate in accordance with the conditions of the relevant environmental permitting regulations or their site license conditions.
The regulators normally expects all permit holders and operators to comply in full with all the conditions. This includes conditions requiring the holders to monitor emissions to air and water and other environmental monitoring.
The COVID-19 RPSs only apply if the holder or operator cannot comply with specific conditions, due to COVID-19 restrictions.
The RPSs are time limited, and the holder or operator must get written agreement from the regulator before they use any of these COVID-19 RPSs.
- Accumulating radioactive waste that you cannot transfer because of COVID-19
- COVID-19 and exceeding permit limits for medical use of radioactive substances
- Reporting for installations, radioactive substances and waste permits
- Monitoring emissions from installations, radioactive substances and waste sites
- Management of high-activity sealed radioactive sources regulatory position
- Management of radioactive substances at nuclear sites regulatory position
- Radioactive substances for medical purposes regulatory position
Emissions Monitoring for PPC permit (Installations & Waste) and Radioactive Substances Certificate holders