Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) & Radioactive Waste Adviser (RWA)
Simon joined Aurora in 2014 and manages major projects within the university and medical sectors involving radiological surveying, decommissioning and safety consultancy.
Simon is a well-regarded RPA/RWA and has many years of experience working as a RPA/RWA for universities and hospitals based in the northern part of the UK.
Simon’s first encounter with radiation protection was in 1994 as a Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS) & Quality Assurance Radiographer within the Radiology department at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne. In 1999 Simon joined the Regional Medical Physics Department in Newcastle providing support to the growing patient dosimetry programme and gained experience with the dosimetry, quality assurance and protection requirements of Computed Tomography scanning.
In 2004 Simon took up the post of Radiation Protection Officer at Newcastle University to focus more on Radiation Protection and Waste issues involved with Analytical Life Sciences. Within 4 years the University expanded into Positron Emission Tomography (PET-CT), Nuclear Medicine Imaging and PET radiochemistry.
Whilst working at the University Simon developed an online radioactive sources tracking programme (Isotope Stock Inventory System (ISIS)) used for record keeping of radioactive stocks & waste. From 2006 he also acted as RPA to Durham University including working with their large Physics department before coming to work for Aurora.
- Member of the Society for Radiological Protection (SRP)
- Certificate of Competence, Radiation Protection Adviser
- Certificate of Competence, Radioactive Waste Adviser
- Chartered Radiation Protection Professional
- Member of the Association of University Radiation Protection Officers (AURPO)
- Member of the Institute of Physics in Engineering and Medicine
- DCR(R) Diploma College of Radiographers (Diagnostic)
- NEBOSH Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
Simon is married to Julie and has two teenage sons. In his spare time he plays cricket, fixes and rides motorcycles and enjoys snowboarding with his family and friends.