Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA), Radioactive Waste Adviser (RWA) & Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser (DGSA)
Jon has been a Certificated Radiation Protection Adviser since 2003 and has worked for Aurora for over ten years. He is a highly respected RPA with a vast amount of experience within the nuclear and non-nuclear sectors.
Jon has an academic background as a physicist and worked with nuclear submarines at Devonport dockyard and other MoD bases from 1993 to 2000. He later worked at the Nuclear Department of the MoD Defence Engineering College teaching military and civilian staff. In 2005 Jon joined Aurora Health Physics Services Ltd
Jon is recognised as one of the UK’s experts in radiological surveying and land remediation and is the Aurora lead for contaminated land projects. He has been the project manager for several radiation survey, decommissioning and remediation projects on MoD, nuclear, research and pharmaceutical sites. Jon also works on the design and delivery of radiation protection training courses for new and experienced workers with ionising radiation, including bespoke courses for particular competencies such as working with tritium or shielding design.
Jon continues to enjoy a wide range of nuclear, medical, industrial, oil and gas, research and land remediation projects.
- Member of the Society for Radiological Protection (SRP)
- Certificate of Competence, Radiation Protection Adviser
- Certificate of Competence, Radioactive Waste Adviser
- Qualified Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser
- Chartered Radiation Protection Professional
- BSc (Hons) in Physics, Durham University
- MSc in X-Ray Science & Technology, Kings College London University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Radiological Protection, Royal Naval College, Greenwich & the University of Surrey
Jon is married and has two children and a dog. Jon enjoys cycling, running and triathlons as well as tending vegetables on his allotment.
Jon has also been interviewed as part of the SRP’s SRPeople series.